Silver State Stars Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS) Coaching
The Children’s Cabinet QRIS Coaching Program supports licensed child care providers (centers only at this time) in achieving a higher QRIS star rating. The focus is to provide effective, on-site assistance to enhance knowledge, skills, practices, or environment. The Children’s Cabinet QRIS Coaches are trained in the Infant/Toddler Environmental Rating Scale (ITERS) and the Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale (ECERS) and must maintain reliability with Nevada’s QRIS Anchor. Our coaches work with child care centers to implement gradual, sustained, improvements over time.
Interested child care providers must attend a QRIS introduction meeting prior to requesting QRIS coaching. For more about QRIS or to sign up for coaching in Nevada, please visit the Silver State Stars QRIS website. Click on this link to be taken directly to the QRIS Enrollment Form.
Suspension & Expulsion Support
Did you know that…
- 44% of providers have asked a child to take a break for a number of days or to shorten the hours they are in a program? (This is suspension).
- 51% of polled providers in Nevada have asked a child to leave their program because of challenging behavior (this is expulsion).
- Many providers report expelling children as young as one year old.
- When providers complete Pyramid Model training, they report 70% fewer challenging behaviors (data is from 2018 Nevada Provider Survey).
To address this issue in our communities, NVTACSEI and The Children’s Cabinet are offering support to programs and teachers in preventing suspension and expulsion of infants and young children. Click here for our NVTACSEI Suspension & Expulsion Prevention Support flyer to find out more.
The Nevada Technical Assistance Center for Social Emotional Intervention for Young Children (www.nvtacsei.com) promotes the use of the Pyramid Model framework for building positive behavioral interventions and supports (PBIS) for early childhood programs in Nevada.
The Pyramid Model promotes evidence-based practices that support positive social emotional skills for young children, such as recognizing emotions in self and others, learning rules and expectations, self-regulation, and positive social interactions with peers. We do this by:
- Promoting program wide implementation of the Pyramid Model
- Providing Pyramid Model trainings to the community at no cost to programs. Check our Provider Training Calendar for training dates: Click to go to Training Calendar page
- Providing on site coaching support for implementation of Pyramid Model practices to programs committed to program-wide implementation
Early Childhood Support Network
The Early Childhood Support Network (ECSN) program offers temporary, on-call substitute care to licensed child care centers and family child care homes in the Greater Reno, Sparks, Carson City and Las Vegas areas. The goal of the program is to help facilities maintain quality child care environments and appropriate child-adult ratios in the event that they become sick, have sick staff, have staff that are on vacation or are in the process of hiring. Substitutes undergo an extensive training period, and the State of Nevada and Washoe County have child care regulations in place. Training includes fingerprinting, CPR and first aid, child abuse and neglect, communicable disease, SIDS, early childhood development, and center and family child care environments.
Child care facilities interested in utilizing the service must register with The Children’s Cabinet in advance.
- Northern Nevada Contact: Jessica Marsala 775-856-0139 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Southern Nevada Contact: Ethel Chambers 702-513-8882 or email@example.com
Provider Specialized Assistance (PSA)
The Children’s Cabinet Provider Specialized Assistance Program is a consultation service available to Child Care Providers to assist them in providing the best possible care to children. The focus is to provide effective, on-site assistance to enhance knowledge, skills, practices, or environment.
- Provider Specialized Assistance Request Form
- On-site Support Memorandum of Agreement
- Quaility Improvement Plan Template
The Nevada Registry Provider Blog
The Nevada Registry hosts a blog for child care providers in Nevada. Reading and posting on the Registry’s blog is a great way for providers to stay connected on public policy, training, and other industry news.
Visit The Nevada Registry Blog
Child Care Provider Recognition
The opportunity to work with young children often brings many priceless gifts and rewarding experiences. It also takes a lot of hard work and dedication.
National Child Care Provider Appreciation Day is held annually on the Friday before Mother’s Day. Provider Appreciation Day is a special day to recognize child care providers, teachers, and other educators of young children everywhere.
- Celebrating Child Care Providers Fact Sheet—English
- Celebrating Child Care Providers Fact Sheet—Spanish
In Nevada, Annual Provider Recognition Ceremonies are hosted by the two regional affiliates of the Nevada Association for the Education of Young Children (NevAEYC). For more information on child care provider recognition ceremonies in Nevada, visit their websites:
- Southern Nevada Association for the Education of Young Children (SNAEYC)
- Northern Nevada Association for the Education of Young Children (NevAEYC)
Additional provider support from outside agencies is listed on our Links page.