The importance of child care and the needs of working parents are under-represented in the halls of Congress and our State Legislature. The need for quality, affordable child care is being overshadowed by other issues. Without consumer demand through advocacy, policies that impact quality child care will continue to be pushed aside by our elected officials.
Supporting Early Education and Development Department of The Children’s Cabinet believes that:
- All children have a right to safe, quality, early learning experiences that prepare them for school and for life.
- All families must have access to high quality, affordable, accessible child care for their children.
- All parents must have a choice of appropriate learning and caregiving environments for their children as quality child care can occur in a variety of settings.
- Every adult who is responsible for a child also has a responsibility to participate in his/her education and ensure his/her well-being.
- The wages and compensation of child care providers is vastly inequitable to the importance of the profession.
- Every community must have a strong child care delivery system that includes child care resource and referral in order to coordinate training, supply building, planning, and policy and education efforts on child care needs.
The Children’s Cabinet partners with several early childhood agencies and child care providers through out Nevada to create a unified policy agenda for the Nevada Association for the Education of Young Children. Please click here to access the policy agenda 2014-15 Public Policy Agenda for Supporting Early Education and Development.
Nevada’s Child Care & Development Fund State Plan
The Children’s Cabinet provides CCDF services through a subgrant with the Nevada Division of Welfare and Supportive Services (DWSS). States are required to develop a plan on how the funds will be administered to meet the requirements of the Child Care and Development Block Grant Act of 2014. The Children’s Cabinet partnered with DWSS and several other entities to develop Nevada’s plan (link to Nevada’s plan is below).
- 2016-2018 Child Care and Development Fund Plan for Nevada
- 2016 Demographics Fact Sheet
- 2014 Nevada Fact Sheet
- 2012 Nevada Fact Sheet
- The Economic Impact of Early Care and Education in Nevada (2011)
- The Economic Impact of Early Care and Education in Nevada – Executive Summary
- 2009 Child Care Demographics Report
- 2009 Child Care Demographics Report-Executive Summary
- 2006 Child Care Demographics Report
Advocacy Reports & Publications
The Children’s Cabinet collects child care related data to keep up-to-date on trends and issues that impact the supply, demand, availability and quality of child care in Nevada. The following reports provide county-by-county data on child care in Nevada.
Download our Advocacy 101 Guidebook to learn how YOUR voice can affect change.
Children’s Advocacy Alliance Action Center
This website will keep you up to date with important state and federal legislation affecting children and families. You can use this site to contact your state and federal representatives as well as write letters to the editor by simply inputting your zip code.
MomsRising works to bring motherhood and family issues to the forefront and to create cultural and legislative changes at both the national and state levels.
Child Care Aware® Parent Network Action Center
On this site you can subscribe to a publication that provides parenting and child development articles, advocacy advice and important news about national child care policies. You can also connect with your Members of Congress and respond to Action Alerts and Child Care Aware Parent Network Campaigns.
The Nevada Women’s Lobby
The Nevada Women’s Lobby is a statewide, non-partisan coalition of organizations, and individual women and men who work on issues affecting women and families.
Children’s Defense Fund
Visit the Children’s Defense Fund Take Action website to become familiar with legislation that impacts the lives of children and families. You can write to Members of Congress through this site as well as sign up to receive automatic e-mail policy notifications.
Every Child Matters in Nevada
The Every Child Matters Education Fund is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, non-partisan organization working to make children, youth, and families a national political priority. The state campaign website for Nevada will connect you with state and federal officials and keep you abreast of current legislation affecting our children and families.
Activities & Events
To learn more about past events The Children’s Cabinet was involved in, visit our Media Room page.
To view upcoming events, visit our Calendar.