The Redfield Academy provides Washoe County students at risk of dropping out of high school with the opportunity to recover credits and work toward graduation. Our students may choose to return to a traditional school setting or graduate from Redfield Academy. It is the mission of the Redfield Academy to keep students engaged in order to get back on track to achieve their educational goals.
Designed by a collaboration between The Children’s Cabinet, Washoe County School District and Washoe County Juvenile Services in 2008, Redfield Academy fills a critical need for the community by providing educational opportunities and support services for youth who are on the path to dropping out of school. Redfield Academy is located at The Children’s Cabinet’s Wilbur D. May Youth Center at 777 Sinclair Street in Midtown.
“With the number of students in a class at a time being so small, it gives our teachers the ability to really help each one of us as best and as much as they can. They are always pushing us to do our best because they see something within us that we can’t see ourselves. They see potential in us.”
Students find success at Redfield Academy because the school provides . . .
- A small setting, with teacher attention (1:13 ratio) and few distractions
- The opportunity for students to develop goals and move at their own pace, fast or slow
- Access to family counseling, food and financial support, safe transportation, career mentorship, and weekly P.E. and team-building activitites
- An atmosphere of care, respect, and understanding
- A focus on graduation and achieving other life-changing goals
For more information, contact the Redfield Academy Program Director, Lacey Keele, at 775-352-8090.
Holiday Book Drive 2018
As a big part of the learning is reading, the Estipona Group and The Children’s Cabinet have partnered to provide the gift of literature and build our school library for the students at Redfield Academy. As you’re doing your holiday shopping or organizing your bookshelves, please consider a donation of any of the following titles (new or gently used) — and/or ANY young adult novels you might have that would be appropriate for high school readers:
• Lord of The Flies by William Golding
• Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
• The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
• There There by Tommy Orange
• The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
• Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
• Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix
• Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
• 1984 by George Orwell
• Does my Head Look Big in This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah
Bookstore gift cards (Sundance, Grassroots, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, etc.) would also be much appreciated.
Please drop off book donations at any Children’s Cabinet location.