- This event has passed.
Youth Mental Health First Aid Virtual Training Saturday October 23
October 23, 2021 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pmFree
Presented by the Children’s Cabinet and the National Council for Behavioral Health
Join us on Saturday, October 23rd 2021 from 9:00am to 3:00pm for Youth Mental Health First Aid virtual training.
- IF YOU DO NOT LIVE OR WORK IN NEVADA- please contact instructor prior to signing up. The scope of work for this grant funding this training is primarily for those who work or live in or near Washoe County, Nevada. We may be able to accept some registrations outside of Washoe County on a case by case basis but priority will be given to those in or around Washoe County. If you are outside of this geographic area, please contact email@example.com prior to signing up, or you may not be added to the training.
- Make sure your email address is entered correctly when signing up
COURSE INFORMATION (PLEASE READ PRIOR TO SIGNING UP)
• Participants must complete a 2 hour self-paced module and complete it no later than 48 hour prior to the virtual training. Learners who have not completed the module prior to the deadline will be removed from the course.
• Class size is limited and will be filled on a first come, first served basis. If the class you wish to attend is full, please contact me for alternate dates.
• Please be aware the YMHFA training will cover various topics of a sensitive nature, including depression/anxiety, substance use, psychosis, or other topics that may potentially be distressing for some. However, YMHFA program emphasizes recovery and resiliency and aims to teach participants how to provide assistance for youth experiencing a mental health challenge.
Please contact Taylor Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
Youth Mental Health First Aid is designed to teach parents, family members, caregivers, teachers, school staff, peers, neighbors, health and human services workers, and other caring citizens how to help an adolescent (age 12-18) who is experiencing a mental health or addictions challenge or is in crisis. Youth Mental Health First Aid is primarily designed for adults who regularly interact with young people.
The course introduces common mental health challenges for youth, reviews typical adolescent development, and teaches ALGEE, a 5-step action plan for how to help young people in both crisis and non-crisis situations. Topics covered include anxiety, depression, substance use, disorders in which psychosis may occur, disruptive behavior disorders (including AD/HD), and eating disorders.